WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE NEXT SEASON A HIT !!!

PICT0253.jpg

I just put these tracks on a week ago. Spend more winter time at the cabin and hopefully call some coyotes places others arent calling.

Watch you all work hard at getting ready for next season AND start busting them(again) starting the end of the first week in May until November 1st(opening day of deer season).

I've got a couple projects in the hopper.

#1- I just purchased a Garmin GPS and 8 Kirsch's Outdoor Products Trax Maps for the 8 states that I hunt in the most. I plan to scout 2-3 days a week all summer long and "pin" locations on the map where ever I find den sites, see a coyote, or get responses from coyotes while doing some locate howling. Then I'll take it one step farther and plan stand locations in conjunction with the coyote locations. I'll "pin" where to park the truck, which path to take to approach the stand undetected and where to sit for the best opportunity to call and kill one. If I'm diligent, I'll have a large database of viable scouting info to use next fall.

#2- As beautiful as the Benelli M4 is, I think it needs a camo dip job. I'm sending it off to Hydro-Dip to get a fresh coat of Kings Desert Shadow camo from head to toe and I'll also dip the Eotech to match it.

#3- I finally got sick and tired of looking across these giant sage brush flats knowing that I have to drive right by them due to the fact that there is no where to hide the truck. I know there are coyotes there and no one has ever called them for the same reasons that I haven't. No where to hide the ride. This year, I'll change that. I'm buying 40 yards of camo fabric. I've contacted a local company that builds custom boat covers and contracted with them to build a custom truck cover for the Team Tacoma. The cover will completely hide all of the trucks reflections and should make it possible for me to call areas that I've never been able to before with the truck in full view of the calling area.

I'm looking forward to hunting with some of you next season and I'm making preparations already for you to "get your 15 minutes of fame!" Good Hunting...

Buying a FoxPro e-caller. My Primos PowerDawg does only has 12 sounds. I need to be able to throw them some 'curve balls' that they have never heard before; like different distress sounds, antler rattling, baby pigs, baby goats, etc.

#1 save up and buy a DPMS Oracle because the Remington 770 is just not gettin the job done.

#2 start asking permission to hunt on private land instead of hunting so much public land.

#3 take my sister and my girlfriend and her little brothers with me

I'm gonna start making a list of questions. Like is a .22lr OK for coyotes? How far will my 17hmr shoot? .223 or 22-250 better? How tough is a coyote? What is a bug hole? Will a coyote breed with a moose? What size shot in my shotgun? Why an AR?

Hopefully I can think of one or two more in the off season.

oh ya workin on getting my bench up to 500lbs again and squat up to 700, lots of hill work, so i can carry all my equip twice as far next year!!!

Originally Posted By: skinneyoh ya workin on getting my bench up to 500lbs again and squat up to 700, lots of hill work, so i can carry all my equip twice as far next year!!!

Dont forget Rule #1 Cardio!!!

A spirit dance, sleep on the other side of the bed, put my socks on first, wipe with my left hand. Whatever it takes to get rid of this bad joo-joo that has followed me for way too long.

ELJ

Originally Posted By: clubstrumpOriginally Posted By: skinneyoh ya workin on getting my bench up to 500lbs again and squat up to 700, lots of hill work, so i can carry all my equip twice as far next year!!!

Dont forget Rule #1 Cardio!!!
RIGHT ON!!! i get plenty of cardio during hill work.

if I could bench 500 lbs. I 'd quit this job...........

Hopin to team up with someone who has more experience than I. Maybe show me some things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706if I could bench 500 lbs. I 'd quit this job...........

500 pounds is easy........as long as you don't lift it all at once.
tongue_smilie.gif

buy a foxpro cs 24 and retire the dying jspm4.. Build my first AR. Spend more time at the range get all the hammers drivin tacks. And guess Im the only one whose goona scout some more public land options along with my private offerings

Scouting locating and mapping areas where coyotes are so I will be prepared when the calling gets good. I think I will continue to watch tons of coyote calling movies and read posts on this site to come up wit new ideas to make me a better caller.

Originally Posted By: K. InmanI am gonna make it a point to work on my howling skills. Gonna learn what one means to the other and how they respond in my area.

K. Inman,
I like your way of thinking.
I wish more folks would do this in the "off-season", instead of guessing at their howls while hunting.

I have two lists.
List #1 are things that depend entirely on what my finances & budget are between now & October.

List #1:
a) Make sure my truck is in the best possible mechanical shape it can be, ie: replace worn oil pump, new exhaust, new u-joints (just in case), ect.
b) Either rebuild my 870 into a "dedicated" coyote gun. Or buy a new "tactical" or "turkey-style" shotgun.
c) Buy new camo.

List #2 are things that I HAVE to do, regardless of cost (or lack there of).

List #2:
a) Lose freakin' weight!!!!!! This is something I've been fighting with for several years, & dang it, I'm freakin' sick of lookin' like the Michelin Man!
b) EXERCISE!!! (Repeat X 1000)
Ride stationary bike; walk around the neighborhood as often as possible; buy some small weights, so I can work out my arms/shoulders/chest/stomach; continue to "workout" with the exercise DVDs my sister gave me for Chrismas.
c) Touch base with all the landowners from my current list of huntingspots; and try to find more, new hunting land.
d) Every day, whether stuck in my delivery van for work, or at home...grab various closed reeds/open reeds (both variable, & those that I have that are not)/and howlers...and PRACTICE, baayy-bbeeee!!!

(1) trigger time
(2) take more detailed notes during (1)
(3) getting a new ARP upper in 6.8
(4) working up a load for (3)
(5) more trigger time
(6) access
(7) keep getting my boys out
(8) get my second can so both me and the lucky son who is watching the down wind side get to shoot suppressed
(9) a .22LR can just for fun
(10) keep practicing my hand calls on the way to/from work

Work up the best load for my .243....
Learn to hand call and retire my fox pro......
Get more stands scouted so I dont pressure the same ones so much....
Learn how to snowshoe......
Buy land in Gerlach NV!!!!!

Last edited:
Back